6:07 AM

Blogola Time










Well, so I am sad that it has become a weekly thing that I really update and blog. I fully intend to blog more often, but I am so busy, and keeping up with this blog is not number one on my list of things to do. So I will give you a quick update day by day of this past week as well as some things to pray for.


Friday- we had a fourth of July party at the school. They cooked for us and had a little ceremony. We had spaghetti and fetachnie (spelling?) and corn on the cob, as well as some other very scrumptious food. Some Thai students sang some American songs for us, but they were far from patriotic. We had everything from Norah Jones, to Lady GaGa. It was a bit hilarious to say the least. They asked us prior to the party if we would sing a song, we thought they meant patriotic so we sang the Star Spangled Banner. I just find it very funny we sing the national anthem and they sang Lady GaGa, I'm sure we looked real cool. But hey it was the fourth of July! They also made us dance for them, I taught one of the old teachers how to two step, they were a hoot! I wore a white skirt and a red and white striped shirt with a blue cover, what can I say, I make a great American flag. Im proud to be an American, ha ha ha! But really, I am. There are some British English teachers that teach at SPU. They came to the party, it was... well.. really what do you say. I had to explain to the group why we celebrate Fourth of July in America, there was a bit of awkwardness in the air. Can you guess why??


Saturday- We were able to sleep late and it was so wonderful. At noon we went to SPU (the university) to help out with freshy day. Its a day were all the freshmen go through hazing, very interesting. They asked us to play English games with the, so for five hours I played sherades. To say I am tired of this game is an understatement. But it was a good time to meet new freshman. We went to JJ market that night to find some souvenirs. I really like JJ, but it is soooo big.


This lions club clock is at JJ. Go lions club!


Sunday- Fourth of July- Church was great as always. After church we had hot dogs and potatoes salad and chili. Oh and Jello, I felt like such an American. The fourth of July here really is just another day, nothing special at all. Every once in a while we would say happy fourth, but with no fireworks whats the point. At the park we rented some bikes and took a wonderful ride. Me and the girls who rode the bikes sang We are proud to be an American, and God Bless America, I love that no one understands us. We kept telling everyone that it was Americas day when we would pass them, and the Thai's would just smile, to much fun.


I really enjoyed riding the bikes, perfect thing to do on the fourth of July. We also played some frisbee in the mud, I was VERY muddy. I went with some of the guys to watch them play basketball, I met a guy there from Houston. He said he loves to go to San Marcos to shop and float, small world.


Just a side note, because we did it Sunday night as well, us Americans have gotten SO good at squeezing into taxi's. We have a system, two in the front, four in the back, and two in laps. Im always a “lapper” I guess you could say. That's eight people; the taxi driver's hate us, but our wallets love us!

Monday- One of the best days on campus so far. The night before we really prayed again that God would send us the students he wanted us to meet that day. First thing when I got on campus I went and ate breakfast with three girls that I had met the previous week. They were so much fun to be around, really kept me laughing. Jay, on of the girls, asked me what how you said “pimple”. She thought she had a pimple, but insisted to me that she didn't have acne, and had a clear “completion” as she said. Then she asked me what “dimples” were called. It was so funny, she kept saying we love dimples and hate pimples. Sweet girl. They wanted to meet with us again sometime this week because they said they do not know many people on the campus. I am hoping tomorrow we can meet up with them again.


Eve and Fern called me soon after that and wanted to have lunch. I am so happy they have continued to call us, I am praying that even though they do n

ot seem very interested in the gospel, that us being around them will influence their lives, and in Gods timing their hearts will yearn for him. Eve


asked me to go with her to her badminton class. I was a bit hesitant because, one I didn't know what the teacher would think, and two I and the rest of America DOES NOT play badminton. But I went anyway, what the heck right? Sure Ill make a fool of myself in front of hundreds of students, why not! Fortunately, the teacher did not show, and I blended right in with all the others who could not play badminton. Beginning to think if anyone actually can. I had sooooo much fun though, and got in several good laughs with the girls. I enjoy doing activities with them where we do not always have to speak and be serious.


After that I went and met up a girl named Beer, yes... Beer. She was a girl that we met at the fourth of July party at SPU. It was pouring down rain so we sat on the porch of the liberal arts building and just talked. It was nice. Beer is not very good at English, but a joy to be around. She thoroughly loves Americans and really wants to get to know us. She had to leave pretty quickly to get back to class but ate supper with us later that night.


Right as Beer was leaving, Fern was coming. ( Don't you love these names? I do!) Fern is a girl that I do not ever remember meeting the first time, but one day I ran into her on campus and she remembered me. We have wanted to get together for a long time but she is only on campus one day a week. She speaks English very well and is just a doll. Luckily that day several of her classes were canceled. ( lets just say its more normal to have class canceled then to have it at SPU, very sad). I asked Fern if she would want to go up to the English room and play a game. When we got up to the room I felt that I should give her the survey about being interested in the gospel.


Fern was very interested! As soon as she was done with the survey she asked me to tell her more. I was elated! I was able to talk with Fern for about an hour about Jesus Christ and what he means to me. She told me she is very worried that if she dies she will not go to heaven because she is not good enough. I was able to explain to her that as a christian none of us are good enough to go to heaven, because God is perfect and Holy and we are sinners. But because God loved us so much he knew he had to make a way for us to in our imperfection to live eternally in a perfect paradise with him. So he sent his only son, Jesus Christ to pay ransom for our sins and bridge the gap between us and God. I explained to her that our bible tells us that there is no other way to the father except through Jesus.


Fern had never seen a bible. I showed her mine and she just held it and flipped through it for several mins. She would ask questions and then listen patiently while I explained. She asked me how I know the bible is true and why I believe what I believe. She asked me many questions in fact, some simple and others not so much. But the best thing about the whole situation was that she honestly was interested. A lot of Thai people will sit and listen to you out of respect, but this was not about respect, this was different. I could feel the Holy Spirit speaking through me. I don't mean to sound crazy, but I was just in awe with how God provided me with the words and scriptures to share with her.


After we talked I asked her if she would like a bible and she said yes. I gave her one to read, and hope she has been able to. She told me it was a lot to take in because it was so different from everything she had been taught, which is completely understandable. Please pray that the Holy Spirit moves in Ferns life. Pray that when she reads the bible that God will give her a heart and mind to hear him. Pray that our team is given another opportunity to meet with her.


We went to dinner that night with Fern and Beer. I was happy we were able to have a little girl time in a social environment. I know that God can take control of these relationships. I am asking God for discernment on how to approach these situations.


That day was great! Got just sent us a fountain of students, and really reminded us of our purpose.

Tuesday- I was able to sleep a little later because my schedule was different. I headed to SPU about 12:00 stuffed like sardines in the taxi. I would love to know what the students think when they see these crazy “farong, pronounced falong” , which means white Americans, pour out of a taxi. I am sure it is a sight to see.


I didn't have many students that day, but that was ok. Gave m

e a chance to go around and meet with new ones. At 2:30 I caught a bus to the Baptist Student Center on the other side of Bangkok. Some of our team works there every night teaching English, but last night they needed help, so I went. The BSC teaches English classes from beginner to advanced. All the classes are taught mostly by retired America

n school teachers that are now missionaries. I met an older man from Oklahoma whose brother was Youth minister of FBC Odessa for many years. Small world once again.


I sat in the conversation corner most of the night. This is an area where the students, who are mostly adults, can come and just practice having an English conversation. I helped in two classes as well. Both classes were beginner one, so about all I could do was ask them their names and then go over vocab. None the less, It was a blast. I really enjoy the BSC. The people are great, the atmosphere is great, and it is such a joyful place. I wish I was able to go more often.


While we were there we met some other American missionaries. Its fun to meet Americans. We met two guys named Dan and Dave I believe. They w

ere from South Caroline, the same town as one of our other missionaries, and have many mutual friends together. Another small world thing. You may have heard of these guys though. Dan and Dave were missionaries with their brother Jeremy last summer in Yellowstone. I am not sure of the exact story, but towards the end of their two month trip they were in a terrible car crash. Jeremy, the younger brother was pronounced dead at the scene, but when they got to the hospital he was alive. He was in a comma for several months and is now paralyzed. Dan was told he would never walk again, after he broke both his neck and back. Today he is walking just fine. Dave had minor injuries but was still forced to take off work for a year as an elementary school teacher.

I was broken for these boys, what a tough year they have had. But they just radiated the love of Jesus Christ. They handed out wrist bands that say, being Jeremy's legs. Dan and Dave will be working with the BSC this summer. We know it is hard for them to be away from their brother, but was an amazing testimony they have that can bring glory to our Father. Our team is asking you to pray for them, and their brother for a full recovery. Our heavenly father is the great physician and can heal their brother.


I am still aw-stuck at the people that God has brought together thi

s summer. Some of us work closer with each other and others we only meet on our journey. But we are clearly reminded of our Gods divine power in stories like these. It is evident that God can be glory through ones pain. I hope that this team continues to learn this sometimes very hard lesson.

Wednesday-

You tired of reading yet, well I'm tired of typing, so there you go!!


It was my day off today, I'm sure you have caught on to that already. I woke up early and caught the skytrian with MaryAnna, the sweetest girl from Mississippi ever. We rode to Victory monument where we met a BSC student. Puy just graduated from law school and is now living at home. I think you could say she is almost fluent in English. She w

anted to take us somewhere today, and we were up to the adventure. We had heard of the thrown palace and thought we should check it out. We hoped on a bus once we met up with Puy and rode for about 15 mins.


We were unable to take pics from inside but maybe I can google some. On the grounds there are several palaces and several museums. We saw many old artifacts from Thailand , including old carriages and carts the Kings rode in.


Vimanmek palace was amazing. It is the world's largest golden teak-wood mansion. It is BIG, and full of amazing things. We took a tour of it. I could not help but imagine being a little girl living in this palace. It was like something you would see in a movie.

Once we were done there we went on to see the Amanda Samakhom Throne Hall. This is by far the most beautiful building I have ever seen in my life. Again I was unable to take pics. This is where the Royal family have parties and where their thrones are. I do not even know how to begin to describe its beauty. There are so many amazing things to look at, ill try to find some pictures.


We ate lunch with Puy and then headed back to the hotel.


Please pray for me. I have something terribly wrong with my eyes. I woke up with them both swollen shut and blood shot red. This really made the day with Puy hard. I was miserable the the entire time. I feel much better now, but my eyes are still blood shot. I think I got something in them, I am not sure. Sweet MaryAnna prayed with me about them. If the devil cant distract you one way he will another. I have felt good most days, other then headaches, but when your eyes hurt your whole body hurts. A lot of days my contacts bother me, but this is different, its defiantly not my contacts.


Anyhow... everything else is going stupendously. Ill say it again, I am having the time of my life. We are praying through the students and trying to figure out the ones we are suppose to take to camp with us next weekend. This camp will be an evangelistic camp, so we want to take students that are open to the gospel. Pray that God reveals those people to us, and that He will make a way for them to go.


I want to thank everyone again for their encouragement. Your prayers are much need, and I know we have so many people back home praying. I am having fun, but more then anything I feel I am being used. I have had some amazing conversation with my teammates, and I am blessed to have these brothers and sisters here with me to encourage and keep each other accountable. We have about three weeks, wow, three weeks. And then.. its over. But it is FAR from over right now, I know God is going to continue to use us and shape us and mold us. I expect not only for students here to be forever changed, but for myself as well.


0 comments: