5:38 AM

Random tid bits

A bit of random information

Howdy Yall. Just thought I would share a few quick tid bits with ya about how things are around here.

Our Hotel.

Our hotel is actually pretty nice. Its actually called the nice hotel.. ha ha ha. Its not a five star or anything, but it is clean. We pay about 15 dollars a night to stay here. All the Americans are on levels 6 and 7 so its nice to have our own part of the hotel. Everyone one is friendly but internet is stinking expensive, at least to me. We each have one room mate. I LOVE that a maid comes in everyday and cleans our room. We have a balcony with a pretty cool view as well.

The church.

The baptist church we are working with is right across the street. This is great because we do our laundry as well as have meetings there. We have not been able to attend a church service yet but I will let you all know how it goes on Sunday.

Transportation

Everyday we ride the bus to the university. It cost about 11 baht. Just to explain there are 32 baht in a dollar. Our budget is about 160 baht per day for transportation... so we are saving there! A few times we have taken a taxi, however those are much more expensive. I use to think taking a taxi was "shady", but here its a part of everyday life. Bangkok also has a sky-train, and a subway, which I have not ridden in yet, but will soon. Traffic is crazy, if there are traffic laws no one is following them. There are lanes, but no one stay in them. You go when you want to go, and stop when you want to stop. Motor scooters weave through everywhere, jump sidewalks, cut in front of buses, anything. But surprisingly enough I have only seen one very very small fender bender since I have been here. Tonight was the first night that I rode the bus with some girls and not a Thai person. We did great and did not get lost. And yes mom... I was safe!

Food

Food is.. well.. ok I guess. You easily can find any American food here that you want, but you will pay American prices. Tonight I had KFC, it was AMAZING! At the university I can get a full meal for about a dollar, so cheap. I am about sick of rice and chicken, so I better find something else quick. They have some amazing desserts too! EVERYWHERE you go around here there is a place to buy food. Seriously down every street and every corner there is a food vendor. This makes for some BAD smells. A "took took" was driving down the street today and almost ran me over, he was selling live insects to eat... enough said. If you know me very well you should be proud of me that I have eaten ALOT of fruit since I have been here. The fruit here is so sweet and fresh. I like it alot actually!

Thai people

The Thai people are so wonderful. They call Thailand the land of smiles. The name holds true. Everywhere we have gone we have been treated with such great hospitality. The first thing they ask you when you meet them is " have you eaten yet?". If not they will feed you. You never touch a Thai person on the head, and feet are suppose to me ignored. It is hot, and the people are sweaty, but I have not smelt any BO so far. The only bad smells are the street food. I cannot wait to meet more of these people. They are so kind.

Time

The sun comes up about five and sets before 8. Not day light savings time. They also go by
"army" time. This can be annoying at moments. We are exactly 12 hours ahead of Texas. So like now its 7 at night and and 7 in the morning in Texas.'
Funny story
'
We were teaching some students how to play the game, "gorilla, man, gun". Kind of like rock, paper, scissors. You say, " Gorilla beat the man, man beat the gun, gun beat the gorilla".. but at the end of it you say, " if you tie you die". Well lets just say the only thing they catch is the last phrase.. and something about that is just not right.. see if you catch it! New game is needed I think! Lol

I know there are more random things to tell, but I will have to think of them later

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Haha, If you Thai you Die! thats awesome...never thought about that till now.

amy parker said...

yeah.. neither did we until we said it. too funny