5:39 AM

University days

Well we have been at the University for three days now. And a very long three days it has been I might add!

We are at a university that is about a 15 min bus ride right down the road from us. In short it is called SPU. I have not clue how to pronounce the full name. The campus is very small, but very, very pretty. There are about 12 building in total, but all of them are at least 16 stories tall. The landscaping is very pretty too. There are flowers and fountains and plenty of benches to sit and talk with students. There are two cafe's to eat at on campus with a wide range of cheap foods. There are also some great coffee shops and ice cream as well. Its funny because one of the hot spots is called "Mys cupcakes", seriously, what can I say but I am famous!

The Americans are split up into two teams on campus. The Texas team is working with the engineering department and the others are working in liberal arts. Both however are helping students learn more English. These first couple of days have really been focus on learning the ropes, getting comfortable with the campus, and trying to meet new students. A typical day however will consist of us getting on campus around 10:00 A.M until 4:00 P.M. We usually will have a class in the morning in which two Americans will teach English, or assist in another everyday class. Then we will try to have lunch with students that we meet, followed by tutoring in the afternoon, as well as hanging on campus with the students. As much as this sounds like a job and that we are really there to help the university, which I guess we are, the main point of us being there is to meet students in a everyday situation, invest in them a little, help them out a little, and then invite them to our off campus activities where we can share the gospel with them.

These last several days have been interesting. I have met numerous students by simply walking up and asking if I could sit down with them. Of course they say yes because we are Americans. Most students know enough English that we can have a very small normal conversation. What is your name.. How old are you.. do you have siblings.. so on so on. And then from there we try to ask for their information so we can contact them again. I have had a few interesting stories to say the least. All I will say , and I will leave It at this, is there have been a few very pretty girls I have talk to that ended up not being girls or (pretty boys). Hm.... But other then those few everyone is great. Our goal is to be as consistent as possible by running into as many of the same students each day as we can. Most students have their everyday hang out spot so that helps. The school gave each team a room to invite students to to try to help them with English, here we can also play games with them. On the weekends we will invite the students we have met throughout the week to different activities. When those come up I will let you know how they go.

Every night I pray for God to send those into my path that I am suppose to invest in. Its a slow process trying to learn the ropes myself as well as meet students but I know in a week or so there will be those that my heart will be burden for. I know the Lord is in control of these situations. I believe in relationship and really hope that some can spring up from the small conversations. Obviously there are some major barriers between us and them. The biggest, of course, would be the language. But also the fact that we are American they become very shy. Please pray that God will break down those walls and stand in their place. Its been really neat to see how already some of us have connected with students that we don't understand at all. Today, for example, I was in a lab and these boys were next to me. I look over and on the computer screen was a message to me that said " Hello America, How are You?". I then realized that they were on the google conversation translator. I had about an hour long conversation using this google translator with these guys. See.... technology is a good thing.

After we leave campus we go straight to a mall to eat supper. Our goal is to invite as many Thai students with us as we can. Many many students spend their evenings at the mall each night, the social place. Hopefully more students will begin to come with us to super. Here we can be much more relaxed.

Personally I would like you to pray for courage for me. This seems to be an overwhelming task to try to take on with the language barrier. The days are long, and HOT. Pray for energy and health for the entire team. Some of the team has already gotten sick. We are all resting in the peace that God has his hand in these relationships and it might take time. However, please pray for patience as we wait on Gods timing. Things can become repetitive quickly and you loose the push you had at the beginning when you do not see a quick result. Pray for persistence, understanding, and wisdom for the entire team. These students need Jesus, and in some of their eyes you can tell they are searching. I know my God can do big and MIGHTY things through our team this summer. Hopefully soon we will have some cool stories of some relationships that have sprung fourth.

As of now I am going to do everything in my power to get some pictures and videos up. I hope to blog again this weekend. Thank you all for the enormous amour of encouragement and prayer. It is needed. I am having a blast, and everything is getting better each day!

1 comments:

ab said...

I am loving this! Stay strong in the Lord, you are doing great things!!

amanda